Saturday, July 12, 2008

She & Him (& Me) in The Guardian Guide




Today my feature on She & Him is published in The Guardian Guide. If you don't already know, this is the amazing country pop duo formed by Zooey Deschanel and M Ward. Their album, 'Volume 1' is released in the UK by Domino next week after coming out Stateside on Double Six in March.

You can read the full story by clicking here. And if you like what you hear, you can watch them perform 'Change Is Hard' on the Craig Ferguson Show by heading over here.

More? How about these quotes from the delightful Zooey that didn't make the cut? Added value baby!

ON NOT PLAYING THE DEMOS TO ANYBODY UNTIL M WARD

“Its not like nobody had heard it. Some friends and family had heard stuff, but I was pretty shy about it. I mean, I just didn’t want it to put things out out of context. I just don’t like to release things out into like the world until they’re done, because I think that’s actually how things get judged. You’ll read reviews online of movies before they even have a final cut, and that’s so lame, because when things that are in process, things can get so much better once they’re done with process. And you need to have some confidence in the process. You don’t want to release them into the world because people get the wrong idea about things. And they’re very personal, so I just felt like they were precious and not things that I wanted just anyone to hear.”


ON RECORDING IN PORTLAND AND BEING FROM LA LA LAND

“Well I always wanna go back to Los Anegles. I’m from here and its actually; I know a lot of people put it down, but it’s a really lovely wonderful place. There’s a good artistic commuity here. Portland’s a place that… I love that I get to travel a lotm because LA is home and my family’s here and… but I like to go to other places too, so it’s actually good for me because I get to travel a lot and explore places. (Portland is such a creative community), and I did have a tremendously fun time. Its always hard to leave when its that much fun.”


ON BEING KNOWN AS A GEEK ICON IN THE UK

“Well actually I think its’ funny… it's just interesting talking to you in England, because I’ve done 40 movies, and most of them were on like either comedies, dramas romantic movies. I’ve only done two Sci Fi movies, and you just mentioned both of them! So I’m like, that’s like two out of 40! It’s a very small percentage of movies that I’ve done that have been genre. I’ve actually done a lot of independent movies that are romances. My favourite thing to do and the thing that I am the most connected to are character-driven movies that are about people are their relationships and interaction. That’s what I feel the most connected to. Although its fun to do bigger movies that are in different genres than I usually do. I like to mix it up.”


ON WHY TIN MAN WAS SO SHITE

“Yeah you know, I saw -kind of sometimes don’t get to see all of the stuff I do, especially if its on TV – I’m just not big on watching myself. I saw the first episode, I liked it, it was good.
“I hadn’t really worked in a little bit, and it sounded like fun and I’d actually just finished making the record and I hadn’t worked in a while and I just thought, I was thinking about taking a break from acting for a while, and then I thought well I could just do that and it’ll be fun, but then after that I just worked for a straight year and a half.”

No comments: